A quick look at the Nucs before the monthly Club Meeting. In case there was an issue i needed to ask the membership about . Fortunately I didnt see anything that look like a problem.
Nuc #1 is looking great now with 3 frames of eggs & larva. The pattern looks as solid as it can be. I did see a cell with 2 eggs in it but only once. I'll check again this weekend to look for more. I don't want a laying worker problem.
|3rd row of eggs, 3rd cell from the left; 2 eggs|
|Larva from Nuc 1|
|Queen bee, perhaps soon to be replaced|
Nuc #2 has plenty of capped brood left in her as well as 3 Queen cells. 2 have been capped while 1 is being capped now. So by the weekend after next a queen should have emerged. Another week after that, or shortly after, there might be eggs in this nuc.
|Queen Cell 1|
|Queen Cell 3|
|Queen Cell 2 with a....'What is that!'|
One more issue was the mesh reducer on the entrance. Because of the threat of early robing i cut a mesh reducer to fit a single bee. I didn't think about drones & queens at the time though. I found frame 5 completely covered in drones. Just sitting there doing more nothing then usual. I realized then they might not be able to get out of the hive; though i saw no bee waste stains anywhere. It also means a queen couldn't get out of the hive either. I made the entrance bigger and left it at that.
Nuc #3 had lost most if it's swarm cells. They had been torn down and replaced with regular comb. I looked and looked for a queen but never saw one. Hopefully in a few days i will find a bunch of eggs. Then I'll know she has a queen.
|Bunch 'o bees|
Both Nuc #1 & Nuc #2 had their Inner Covers finally put on.