A queen should have emerged in Nuc #1 last weekend. I went in today to see if she had begun to lay eggs. The first frame had no new eggs and all the capped brood had emerged. Frame 2 Also had no eggs or brood but did have the New Queen. Though my colonies have generated many queens this is the first one I meant to make. Woohoo! it worked
The marking tools are always in the work bucket. It took a bit to get her in the tube though. A worker bee always trys to get stuck in there with the queen. 2 small dots of white paint and a minute of drying later shes marked.
|Marked Queen Bee|
|Still making Mating Flights|
- - -
Nuc #2 had 3 Queen cells on the first frame I pulled out. Only 2 were capped. There was still plenty of worker capped brood on that frame too. I didn't look any further and closed it up.
The nucs are looking good so far. Once a queen begins to lay I plan on adding the second nuc box with filled honey frames.