Afterward I got ready to repeat the task over in my yard. The new package (Duchess) was a good impetus for making a new hive stand. I put it in a new spot too. The placement of the first 2 hives was poor. This new spot has lots more Sun and is better drained. The stand is 8 feet long and is 20 inches tall and will hold all 3 hives. The package will be the first colony on it. I'll move the other 2 over to it in the next month. It has room for a fourth hive too. Maybe I'll catch a swarm or start a queen nuc or something. Once all 3 hives are on the new stand I get rid of farmer Bob's old rickety stand.
Myrina on the Old Stand in the background
It was great to put all the new hive parts together on the new stand. It's clean with fresh paint. The newest house on the block. I'm still updating Mary's & Myrina's equipment. Frames are the slowest to update. I can only take so many in a season.
I'm trying the Drone frames this year
Once all the equipment was down by the new hive I opened up the package. The Queen cage was missing it's cork over the candy but no big deal. This hole was covered by a piece of metal anyway. There was some wax being built up on the cage & syrup can but very minor. The Queen looked good but 2 of her 5 attendants had died. I attached her between the 2 middle frames and poured in the bees.
Queen (soon to be named)
The bees clumped out quickly and many took to flying around the hive. The rest slowly crawled up the foundation toward the queen. They seem to like her as there was no balling. I put the hive back together and added a gallon of 1:1 syrup, with Fumagilin and apple cider vinegar, into the hive top feeder. Once closed up the bees stayed close to the reduced entrance. After an hour I checked on them and saw what looked like Orientation flights by many of the bees. Lots of good signs.
For this hive I built the Screened Bottom Board, Vent box, & Telescoping Cover. The Deep Hive body & Inner Cover were purchased from Dadant. The only prep that was done for the package was rewaxing the frames & spraying then with sugar syrup.