|As it was|
- Mary - double-deep, twenty full frames & good population, strong
- Myrina - double-deep, twenty full frames & good population, strong
- Heléna - double-deep, ten full frames & fair population, slow
- Melissa - double-deep, nine full frames & fair population, slow
- Nuc#1 - double-deep nuc, ten full frames & OK population, slow
- Nuc#2 - double-deep nuc, ten full frames & good population, productive
- Nuc#4 - single-deep nuc, five full frames & fair population, unproductive
- Nuc#5 - single-deep nuc, 5 full frames & good population, productive
- The wild log's bees are gone or going
It was decided to combine the colonies in a way that maximizes the amount of genetics in the yard. So queens from my yard will be pinched in favor of queens from somewhere else for these combinations.
- Melissa came from the neighbors yard with a history of comb & honey production. We combined her with Nuc#1 who is from Mary and kept Melissa's Queen.
- Heléna was from Georgia but requeened herself and is now a local girl. She was combined with Nuc#2 from Myrina. Nuc#2 was a powerful colony I should have hived first thing in Spring. A lost opportunity but i know better now. Anyway her bees should easily rocket Heléna's bees through Winter. Heléna's queen was kept. (The Queen from Nuc#2 went to my neighbor who had to requeen a weak hive. Yay!)
- Nuc#5 was a wild swarm from the next county. They might be ferals and seem to have enough want-to. Very calm bees too. They were combined with Nuc#4, a swarm from Myrina. The growth in Nuc#4 stalled early and remained unimpressive. Here Nuc#5's Queen was kept. These two Nucs together still only make up a large Nuc; ten frames. I put them together with a third nuc box. If they utilize it then great. If not, no loss. Either way these bees need to get through Winter as a Nuc.
This means we go into Winter with four Double-Deep hives and One Nuc. All of them are filled with good bee populations and plenty of potential.
The Combination went as follows:
Nuc#1 into Melissa - 8/15/11
Nuc#4 into Nuc#5 - 8/17/11
Nuc#2 into Heléna - 8/19/11
|Melissa Combined & Nuc#1's box left for the homeless field bees|
|Nuc#5 combined with the extra box|
|Moving Nuc#2's frames into a ten frame box|
|Queen of Nuc#2 on her way to the Neighbors Yard|