The t-cover on Myrina surprised me. As I lifted it off several ounces of water ran on to the ground like a faucet had been turned on. Startled i turned it over to examine it. The underside was saturated. Fortunately the cover is waxed but nothing is waterproof. No swelling of the wood but a green & black mildew were acutely present.
Another problem is the condensation dripping into the HTF is infecting the tea/syrup with the mildew/mold. A couple of mold spots the size of quarters were floating on the surface. This poor hive is loaded with the rotten mildew above & below (recall the last post).
The HTF's and tea/syrup went in the hives last Friday. So all of this happened since then. Mary was fine. Her t-cover is homemade and the top piece of wood is 3/4" plywood. Myrina's t-cover is purchased and it's top board is only 1/4" fleck board. Big differences in insulation value. Both HTF's are jacketed by wood shims with 3 - 1.25" holes in them for ventilation, and it's been very windy. I can't believe there isn't enough ventilation.
Both populations are near the same and the queens are sisters so I dont thinks it's behavior. We are in the initial Spring Flow with lots of Maple nectar coming in to cure. I'm not sure why this is happening.
I wiped off the excess water on the inside of the t-cover. It was too late in the day to do much. All i did was place tin foil over the HTF shims (Vent Box) and put the t-cover back on. There will still be condensation but this will keep it off the wood. We are expecting a bunch of rain tomorrow night. Hopefully I figure things out tomorrow and get it done before the rain starts.
I don't think any water is getting on the bees from under the HTF. I believe all the condensation is above it. Also i noticed only a few bees taking the the tea/syrup in Myrina. Yesterday was to cold for the bees to fly. I figured they might be taking the tea/syrup instead. Today was a Fly Day but not a warm one at 47°F. Thought they may still be interested in the tea/syrup.